All right, so November wasn't exactly the coldest month on record -- quite the opposite in fact. But the snow finally arrived, and, true to form, in Toronto it came mixed with ice and rain creating a lovely undercoating of ice with snow on top. Wonderful.

While I may grump and groan about the streets getting clogged with traffic and snowbanks that don't get cleared, my kids are jumping up and down yelling "It's finally here! Winter's finally arrived!" Sure they're happy about it -- they don't have to drive in it -- I suppose I would feel the same way in their case. But I was in our local Mastermind the other day and I guess the "winter fever" got the better of me because I couldn't resist picking up the Zipfy mini luge sled which will appear under the tree in a few weeks time (shh! don't tell!). I know, one sled, three kids, big fight -- but it's an opportunity for the three of them to practice their negotiation skills (at least that's what I keep telling myself). I saw Jon Levy, our Head of Toy Buying, talk about it on Canada AM, and then I watched the Zipfy video Mastermind shot a year ago (see below), and I was sold. This looks like the best little luge, meant for speed with lots of ability for control -- and it was developed in Oakville, Ontario. It's light so lugging it back up the hill shouldn't be an issue. I can't wait to try it, er, I mean, the kids won't be able to wait to try it.

Mastermind carries a few other toys for the great winter outdoors too.

The Snowball Maker will help you make perfect snowballs for the ultimate snowball fight.

The Snow Block Maker will keep the kids busy for hours building the ultimate snow fort.

The Flexi Flyer Steel Saucer will get them zooming and twirling down hills fast.

Want more information on the Zipfy? Watch our Youtube video here:




Posted by: Cathy The Toy Mom