Kapla is so cool!

I've had my eye on Kapla building blocks since I first saw them in our 2009 Holiday Gift Catalogue. Building toys in general are a personal favourite, but building toys that are focused on creating buildings probably rank highest on my list of favourite toys. Yes, there is an inner architect and general contractor in me dying to get out. Despite my changing majors in university from civil engineering to biology, I don't think I've ever gotten rid of the building bug.

So, when I saw Kapla and all it had to offer, it was a toy I had to have....and now I do. Here's the thing: until you've actually seen the design possibilities and felt the product in your hands you might wonder what the big deal is. I mean really, the product consists of identical rectangular building blocks. It's not until you see the photos and sketches of Kapla creations that you have a sense of just what you can do with these bricks. But unlike other toys where step by step instructions are provided, the pamphlets just show photos or sketches of the end product. Your challenge is to figure out how to build them.

What's unique about Kapla is that the blocks are actually cut by computer out of pine from managed forests in France. Each block is identical in size and weight which promotes the balancing ability unique to these blocks.


The results are pretty cool. So far I've made a pagoda, a bridge complete with boats, (pictured left), and a couple of connected towers. There are lots of other two dimensional designs that also look fun to make, but since I like to build up, I've stuck to creating tall structures. Eventually, once I get a handle on all the different ways to construct buildings and towers, I'll start creating my own buildings, but until then, I'm happy just trying to figure out how to build the structures in the photos.

Toy Buyin' Ryan talks about all the great features of Kapla in this video:










One other thing -- the blocks themselves are produced with a very slight roughness to them which promotes their sticking together better. The blocks aren't rough enough to cause slivers, if that's what you're thinking, it's just enough to "catch" another block so that it won't slip out of place.

Finally, like most creative toys, after feeling like you've accomplished something pretty cool after you've completed a building, the next most fun thing? Knocking it down of course! In this great Youtube video, a group of students from Kettering University, built a 31 foot tower to raise money for St Jude Children's Research Hospital. The video is about its deconstruction.














There are plenty more videos about Kapla on Youtube. Some of the creations are pretty spectacular -- like the recreation of the Empire State Building.



Have fun!




--Cathy the Toy Mom